Monday, August 4, 2008

Cartagena, Colombia

Against most advice I decided to go to the most dangerous country in South America, Colombia. After spending a few days here, I am not sure how it has such a poor reputation. I have been spending the last few days in Cartagena, Colombia, which is on the Northeastern coast of Colombia. It is country steeped in history and it is considered Colombia´s historical gem. Pablo Ecobar threatened to level it in 1989 with 500 tons of dynamite, for retaliation of the government clamping down on his drug trade. I was able to spend two days just walking up and down the streets of the old city, every turn was a postcard. The whole city is surrounded by a solid stone wall to keep out pirates back in the 16th and 17th century. Joined by the shipmates I had from Panama we scoured the city. During the days walking around and in the nights sitting out in the squares drinking rum and watching street performers. One square in which we frequented was originally the square where slaves were bought and sold, I kind of felt bad laughing and drinking there.
On one of my walking days I came across barracaded streets and all kinds of army and military personel. I wandered over to where all the comotion was and stumbled into where Alvaro Uribe, the president of Colombia was walking out of one meeting to head to another. I was able to get within 3 feet of him and got a decent picture. I could not image me just wandering up to where George Bush was and have no one question me. It was just a random circumstance of right place right time. Tomorrow I am heading to Quito, Ecuador. Until next time.