Wednesday, February 21, 2007

The Compliment Sandwich

If there was something that I remember of my corporate days it is that if I have something negative to say, I need to surround it by two positive things, thus it is called the Compliment Sandwich. I would consider myself a more than average positive person, but at times this expereince tests my patience and positivity. So I will now conduct a collection of Compliment Sandwiches.

1)
Positive: People here are so open, friendly and curious about me.
Negative: My neighbor burns his trash ie. plastic bottles, bags, car parts, etc. right next to my house which in turns fills my house and my line drying clothes with rancid smoke.
Positive: When ever I am bored I have kids on my street who always want to play cards, monopoly or dominoes.

2)
P: At my school people have been so welcoming and take their time with me, which is a godsend
N: Communication at my school is non existent. When I ask about upcomming meetings they have not once happened when I was told. So either I miss them or walk in an hour late.
P: Fortunantly they have a basketball court so it is not a wasted trip when I go.

3)
P: They have so many cute animals here.
N: These animals bite, tear up my garbage and deficate in my front yard so without fail when I come home in the dark I get a nice sqooshy suprise.
P: I have nothing

4)
P: The fruit here is so amazing, it is juicy and plentiful
N: With all the amazing food in Mexico on south I want to know how Nicaragua missed out on this, they make the most blan food that I have ever had, when I make food for Nicaraguans, they pick out all the flavorful parts, for pasta they prefer ketchup and cream.
P: To their defense their Ketchup is much better than in the states, it is loaded with sugar.

5)
P: The weather here is nothing to complain about, recently it has been hot during the day, but nice and cool in the nights.
N: It is so dry here right now that every time I walk down the street I am greeted by a wall of wind blown dust.
P: Almost every day is a potential beach day

6)
P: It is so cool how almost everything here is handmade such as art products and especially food.
N: The problem with handmade food in a thirdworld country is that they do not properly wash their hands. Sometimes they are good enough to have a bowl of water, but ususally their hands go from pockets to food to handling money to coughing to food to scratching their head to food and so on, oh then dip their hands in the same bowl of dirty water.
P: The street food is really growing on me, it is cooked on an open flame, the closest to BBQ I am going to get.

7)
P: The beer and rum here is so cheap that it is hard to believe. A 1/2 liter of decent rum is $2 and a liter of beer (3 - 12 oz beers) is $1.50 or $.50 per beer
N: I have to choose between 2 beers and I only have an option of rum. If I want a glass of wine I have to break into my savings to drink anything palatable, don´t get me started on a liquor other than rum.
P: If I so choose there is a bar on almost every block in Nicaragua, most are quite seedy, I don´t spend much time in those places, also I am a ¨professor¨I have my reputation to protect.

8)
P: The public transportation is one of the few things in this country which runs a consistant schedule.
N: Riding one of these cerca 1985 grade school yellow school buses is at times a test to the limit of my patience, with a lady pushing 300 lbs next to me holding her live chickens that keep rubbing up against me, while a kid is kicking the back on my seat as another kid is sick throwing up accross the aisle and a man is spitting out the window in front of me and parts of it fly back and hit me in the face. This only happens if I am lucky enough to score a seat. The entire time the music playing is Rivers Of Babylon, We are the World, or any other 80´s song that we forced out of the US because it is an aweful song.
P: The rides are unbelievably cheap, to go from the top to the bottom of the country is about $8.

9)
P: I have been getting really into the Latin music while down here maybe because I can undertand it.
N: Unfortuantly none of the good music comes from here. Their only music is folkloric which if you do not know what this is, take my word for it, if anyone wants to play for you Nicaraguan folkloric music, or worse do a folkloric dance, RUN! They do love their 80´s US music which I eluded to before. I feel like I am back in my dad´s car when I was 7, I didn´t like the music then. For the first few months here I was thrilled when someone asked me ¨Do you want to listen to US music¨ I caught on that this was the only US music they like so now I decline the offer. Try Litening to ¨Total Elipse of the Heart¨by Bonnie Tyler, ¨Africa¨by Toto or ¨Everybody have fun tonight¨by Wang Chung and tell me where your mental stability ran off to.
P: To be honest I am warming up to it, I find myself singing along ¨Turn around, every night and day I get a little bit........when I see that look in your eyes, etc. etc¨

10)
P: I love that to get most day to day items such as eggs, bread, soap, tomato, onions etc, I only have to cross the street, they have stores called puperias which is a mini grocery store and they have one on almost every block, sometimes 2-3 per block.
N: I do not understand the logic of someone who would open one of these stores. If my neighbor sells these day to day products, why would I think it was a good idea to open the same thing right next door. I am just ensuring that neither one of us makes much money. The market research is clearly not done here. Also once I am at these stores or any other store for that matter the idea of a line is nonexistent. People just walk up in front of other people while they are being helped and shout out what they want, the workers promote this by stopping what they are doing for someone else and help the person who has just shouted fresh demands.
P: On a positive note I like the color blue


I would go on for longer, but I can not think of two positives to wrap around the things that have frustrated me about this country. I wonder if people come to the states and have similar feelings, I imaging they do. The interesting thing about this experience is that it truely does test you. If you can not find a way to laugh at things then it really eats you up.
-OD